HEALTH experts in Kilimanjaro Region have warned residents to be on high alert as two people in Hai District are reportedly manifesting symptoms of dengue fever.
The residents have been told to be cautious of mosquitoes that transmit the disease by making sure they keep their environment clean and use mosquito nets whenever possible. Health experts in Hai District have warned locals after two people were found to have symptoms of the disease that has been discovered in Dar es Salaam and other regions, claiming several lives.
The disease, also known as breakbone fever, is a mosquito- borne tropical disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pains and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles.
p style=”text-align:justify;”>In a small proportion of cases, the disease develops into the life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever, resulting in bleeding, low levels of blood platelets and blood plasma leakage or into dengue shock syndrome, where dangerously low blood pressure occurs. Speaking here, health practitioners, Dr Julius Massawe and Dr Happiness Ndenshau said the two patients came to Hai from Dar es Salaam and are believed to be suffering from dengue.
Dr Massawe said one of the patients is a Narumu villager while the other is a Kibaoni Street resident in Hai Town. They could not immediately establish if they are infected as their blood samples had been taken to Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC). The duo have been admitted to St Joseph District Designated Hospital at Soweto in Moshi District. The locals have been warned to seek treatment early once they notice symptoms related to the disease